Languages :
Sites to visit
back

Sites to visit

Le patrimoine industriel

  • La Halle de Grossouvre, Espace Métal

The earth, the fire, the iron, the metal industry in the Cher. An exceptional space designed by Jamy Gourmaud. An interactive, educational and playful scenography. An adventure within reach of all.

Built in 1844, the hall of Grossouvre is classified as "Historic Monument" since 1999. In association with the municipality of Grossouvre, Centre region and the Pays Loire Val d' Aubois, the General Council of the Cher restored it with a particular attention to make a place specially designed for the general public and dedicated to the discovery of the history of the iron.

The ghost of Georges Dufaud, graduate of Polytechnique prestige engineering school engineer who propelled the Val d'Aubois in the industrial adventure, accompanies you throughout an exciting visit. You will go back in time and will discover the fascinating evolution of the iron.

Halle de Grossouvre, Route de Véreaux, 18600 Grossouvre.

Tél. : 02 48 77 06 38

http://www.halledegrossouvre.com/


  • Les halles de Chabrolles in Beffes

The factory of Chabrolles, one of the most important among the numerous factories of the pond of Beffes which 7 placed along the side channel in the Loire, and 14 along the channel of Berry was acquired in 1990 by the municipality. Vast one program of valuation of the site is in progress. The former quarry, flooded by clear waters already welcomes an important Regional Center of Dive.

In the increasing request of France in height essort economic, in the second half of the 19th century, the production of lime with agricultural vocation gives way to the industrial production. The quality of the deposits of limestone of the valley of Aubois, the ease of transport by channels and the geographical position in the center of France make of this pond the second for the hydraulic production of lime in France, between 1865 and the permanent closure in 1936.

The visitor can discover in a green setting this industrial past: the lime production cycle can be traveled by traveling through the daily journey taken by the heating workers (workers), from the former extraction quarry, to the mouths (Upper opening of the blast furnaces), to finish in the extinguishing halls. 

The limestone extracted from a quarry today flooded, was calcined in the 17 ovens grouped in two batteries. The quick lime passed through the work halls for extinction, sieving and bagging, then shipped by barge to the Loire canal, especially to the Paris region.


Information (opening, rates, entertainment)

Accueil Touristique de Beffes - Site de Chabrolles – 18320 Beffes
Tél. : 02 48 76 57 32 - 06 37 08 42 25
accueil.touristique@beffes.fr 
www.beffes.fr


The medieval heritage

With a significant historical and architectural heritage, a virtual medieval road has imposed its route dotted with fortified or religious sites out of the ruins and anonymity for some.

At the crossroads of the provinces of Berry, Nivernais and Bourbonnais, the history left on the Country footprints and some milestones on the line of defense which came to reinforce the natural border of the Loire which could not contain during the war of One hundred years, the advance of the Anglo-Burgundians and the ravages caused by the Black Prince, Edward Prince of Wales, and his army who raged on the Berry land.

Indeed, sold in the 11th century to the crown of France, the Berry will no longer cease to belong to the kingdom and will be handed over over the centuries as an appanage to certain members of the royal family. The Berry thus became in the 15th century the center of the resistance to the English, and Charles VII, crowned king of France in 1422, was for a long time mocked by the nickname "King of Bourges" by the Burgundians and the English. 

  • The castle of Sagonne

Overlooking the medieval village and setting its imposing silhouette in the Val d'Aubois, the castle of Sagonne is charged with a very long and prestigious history. Of Gallo-Roman origin, this site is quoted from 832 as possession of the count of Bourges. It will then belong to the Counts of Sancerre, the famous family of Amboise and that of Jean Babou master general of the artillery and grandfather of Gabrielle d'Estrée who stayed there in 1596. Jules Hardouin Mansart, the architect of Versailles bought the building and its estates in 1699. Waiting for King Louis XIV's visit, he remade some buildings. The castle retains part of its fortified walls and a very important dungeon from which stands out an elegant stair tower.

Information (opening, prices, animations)

Château de Sagonne 18600 Sagonne

Tél : 02 48 80 01 27 ou 01 47 33 59 25

www.chateausagonne.com 

  •  The castle of Grossouvre

 The large defensive tower is the oldest element of the castle whose history merges, since the 14th century, with the Grivel family, who lived there for four hundred years. It was as seneschal and bailiff of Louis II duke of Bourbon that Jehan Grivel, who had driven the English from Berry, received the "Strong House of Grossouvre". The line of Grivel knew an enviable fortune, allied with all the lords of the region, served the kings of France and welcomed at the castle Catherine de Medici, Charles IX and Henry III. It is Alexandre Auguste the Prodigal, Marquis d'Ourouër, who, completely ruined, to give in 1785 "this fief which seemed inalienable" to François Durant, master of the forges, who was interested in the installations of Trézy.

The latter sold it to François Grenouillet, who kept it from 1822 to 1833, when he became the owner of Alexandre Aguado, the sumptuous Marquis of Las Marismas.

Restored, the castle became the rendezvous of magnificent hunts. The Aguado often received Eugenie de Montijo and the Emperor Napoleon III, of whom they were familiar.

Information (opening, prices, animations)

Château de Grossouvre 18600 Grossouvre

Tél : 02.48.74.09.32 / 06.18.44.62.58 

  • The castle of Apremont-sur-Allier

Even if it is not open to the public, the visitor can discover the exteriors.

The hill on which rises the castle is fortified since the Middle Ages, to defend the only way along the Allier, and collect a toll. The fortress is then provided with twelve or fourteen towers surrounded by ditches. Bastion of the Bourguignon party, allied with the English, it is ruined by the partisans of Louis XI. Philibert de Boutillat, bailiff of Nevers and treasurer of France, rebuilds the castle of which five towers remain today. François des Barres became the owner in 1545.

In order to defend King Henry III against the Lord of the Barres, supporter of the League, the Duke of Nevers besieged the fortress in 1577 in vain. The castle will undergo some changes of appearance over the centuries but still retains its imposing appearance.

Information

http://www.apremont-sur-allier.com

http://www.mairie-apremontsurallier.info 

  • The castle of Cuffy

Property of the Counts of Nevers, this fortress of the 12th century, built on a pentagonal plane resisted Anglo-Burgundy incursions. Became a pleasure house, dukes of Nevers from the 16th century, the castle seems to have then served as a refuge for the opponents of King Louis XIII. In 1617, Marie de Medici uses force: the castle is stormed and her towers are shot down. The whole is now preserved and still preserves some carved stones.

Information (opening, prices, animations)

Château de Cuffy 18150 Cuffy 
Tél : 02 48 80 41 45 

  • The dunjeon of Menetou-Couture

Overlooking the Val d'Aubois, the imposing dungeon, about forty meters high, watches over the small village nestled at its feet. This military manor house, built around 1460 by Philippe and Jean de Villaines, has kept its remarkable ship-shaped frame and monumental fireplaces of rigorous purity. It is surrounded by a park with old trees.

Information (opening, prices, animations)

Donjon de Menetou Couture - 18320 Menetou Couture 
Tél/fax : 02 48 80 25 08

donjonmenetoucouture.net  

  • The dunjeon of Jouy

Located in the town of Sancoins, it draws its remains from an important donjon that is attributed to Pierre de Giac, Lord of Jouy in 1346, Chancellor of France from 1373 to 1388, died in 1407, and that one dates from around 1370-1380. The dungeon is a square construction, flanked by circular towers at the corners. The interior had several floors connected by a staircase. The ground floor is covered in broken cradle and is lit by two archers. The first floor is vaulted with high ogives on corner columns with capitals adorned with foliage. The two upper floors are covered with a floor. On the second floor, the south-east tower was converted into a chapel.

Its contemporary sculpture park designed by landscape architect Paul Choulot de Lavenne (1794-1864) is open to the public. The visit allows you to become acquainted with all artistic movements of art since the 50s and to relax or read the news, poems and writings of the same artists in "improbable libraries". There is also plenty of opportunity to observe the fauna and flora that is actively protected during the walk in the park. The Donjon de Jouy has lent works to numerous museums, for example at the moment in Berlin for 2 works by a Czech artist, and the collection brings together more than 60 artists known throughout the world for their contribution to the history of art, of which : Niki de Saint Phalle, Germaine Richier, André Masson, Etienne Martin, Pierre Dmitrienko, Christian Lapie, François Stahly.

Information (opening, prices, animations)

Donjon de Jouy  18600 Sancoins
Tél. : 02 48 74 63 51
https://www.zhibit.org/18sculpturetrailfrance
https://www.facebook.com/donjon.dejouy?fref=ts 

  • The castle of La Grand'Cour in Mornay-Berry

Surrounded by a moat and protected by a wall, it was built in the second half of the 13th century by the lords of Mornay. Its construction inspired by an English model is a remarkable French example of "fortress-shell". The existence of a polygonal enclosure without tower makes of this castle an important witness of the French military art in the 13th century. He played an important role during the Hundred Years War because of his position within a line of defense separating the kingdom of France from Burgundy. A closed garden, of medieval inspiration offered him the most beautiful case of colors and greenery.

Information (opening, prices, animations)

Château La Grand’Cour - 18350 Mornay Berry 
Tél : 02 48 80 24 45
www.lagrandcour.fr/


Aller en haut